noun[mass noun] Biology
- The chemical processes by which atmospheric nitrogen is assimilated into organic compounds, especially by certain microorganisms as part of the nitrogen cycle.More example sentences
- Legumes, such as soybean, are able to capture atmospheric nitrogen and utilize it through the process of nitrogen fixation.
- Plastids perform essential cellular functions and harbour a complex biosynthetic machinery for nitrogen fixation, amino acid biosynthesis, sulphur metabolism, isoprenoid biosynthesis, and gene expression.
- In addition, when Cuscuta parasitises Lupinus albus, atmospheric nitrogen fixation by the nitrogen-fixing host is severely depressed.
More definitions of nitrogen fixationDefinition of nitrogen fixation in:
- The US English dictionary