noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- An unstable, weak acid, existing only in solution and in the gas phase, made by the action of acids on nitrites.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: HNO2
- Secondary amines react with nitrous acid to give nitroso compounds, pale yellow oils that are insoluble in water.
- Some substances are capable of acting either as reductants or as oxidants, e.g., hydrogen peroxide and nitrous acid.
- Nitrite ions also present a more acute toxicity toward the photosynthetic apparatus especially in their acid form, nitrous acid, which can diffuse freely across membranes.
More definitions of nitrous acidDefinition of nitrous acid in:
- The US English dictionary