A large golden-brown bat native to Eurasia and North Africa with long, slender wings, rounded ears, and a short muzzle.
- Nyctalus noctula, family Vespertilionidae
More example sentences
- In addition, the wings of the greater noctule - designed for speed - lack the maneuverability that would be required for hunting a bird in a confined nesting space.
- All free-tailed bats and two noctules reluctant to feed by themselves had to be fed by hand.
- In another European species, the noctule bat, no genetic evidence was found that could be interpreted as directional colonization and glacial-induced bottlenecks.
late 18th century: from French, from Italian nottola 'bat', literally 'small night creature'.
Definition of noctule in:
- The US English dictionary