Definition of noir in English:
1A genre of crime film or fiction characterized by cynicism, fatalism, and moral ambiguity: his film proved that a Brit could do noir as darkly as any American
More example sentences
- It is hard-boiled Hollywood noir, featuring fantastic dialogue and great performances.
- The film is a pastiche of screwball and noir, full of fast talk, funny banter, and venetian blind shadows.
- Both are strongly unconventional films in the dark noir tradition.
1.1 [count noun] A film or novel in the noir genre: he says he’s making a noir
More example sentences
- Edgar Ulmer's reputation rests largely on a series of no-budget, claustrophobic noirs and thrillers like Strange Illusion, Bluebeard, and of course Detour.
- An ambitious pastiche of Hollywood noirs, pulp comic books of the '50s and classic science fiction, the film was created entirely with computers.
- Fortunately, Gun Crazy offers us much beyond this basic premise, making it not only one of the top few noirs of all time but, according to Gary Johnson, also ‘one of the greatest B movies ever made.’
- noirish adjective
- Example sentences
- Only the capricious talent of David Lynch could manage to produce a noirish thriller that is so confusing and yet spellbinding at the same time.
- The show was a dark, noirish thriller about a psychopath working his way up through the ranks of a major corporation.
- When Himes was known at all, he was thought of as a writer of noirish detective thrillers, which were seen as a comedown from promising literary beginnings.
1970s: from film noir.
Words that rhyme with noiraargh, Accra, afar, ah, aha, aide-mémoire, ajar, Alcazar, are, Armagh, armoire, Artois, au revoir, baa, bah, bar, barre, bazaar, beaux-arts, Bekaa, bête noire, Bihar, bizarre, blah, Bogotá, Bonnard, bra, cafard, café noir, Calabar, car, Carr, Castlebar, catarrh, Changsha, char, charr, cigar, comme ci comme ça, commissar, coup d'état, de haut en bas, devoir, Dhofar, Directoire, Du Bois, Dumas, Dunbar, éclat, embarras de choix, escritoire, fah, famille noire, far, feu de joie, film noir, foie gras, Fra, galah, gar, guar, guitar, ha, hah, ha-ha, Halacha, hurrah, hussar, huzza, insofar, Invar, jar, je ne sais quoi, ka, kala-azar, Kandahar, khimar, Khorramshahr, knar, Krasnodar, Kwa, la-di-da, lah, Lehár, Loire, ma, mama, mamma, mar, Mardi Gras, ménage à trois, mirepoix, moire, nam pla, Navarre, objet d'art, pa, pah, Panama, papa, par, Pará, Paraná, pas, pâté de foie gras, peau-de-soie, pietà, Pinot Noir, pooh-bah, poult-de-soie, pya, rah, registrar, Saar, Salazar, Sana'a, sang-froid, scar, schwa, Seychellois, shah, Shangri-La, shikar, ska, sol-fa, spa, spar, star, Starr, Stranraer, ta, tahr, tar, tartare, tata, tra-la, tsar, Twa, Villa, voilà, waratah, yah
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.