Definition of nominal value in English:
1The value that is stated on a coin or note; face value.
- Fixing the value of money depended upon correlating the quantity of precious metal in the coin with its nominal value.
- The nominal value of the coin is 1.95583 leva, the exact equivalent of one euro according to the fixed exchange rate under the currency board arrangement.
- Two commemorative gold and silver coins, with a nominal value of CHF 20 and 50, will be specially issued by the Federal Mint.
1.1The price of a share, bond, or stock when it was issued, rather than its current market value.
- The shareholders decided to split the stock, changing the nominal value of each share from 35 leva to 1 lev, thus increasing the number of shares from 8.25 million to 288.76 million.
- The company will offer 150 000 shares with a nominal value of 10 leva and an issue price of 30 leva each.
- Maltby argues that the general fall in nominal values of shares, combined with a declining use of uncalled capital, had a significant impact during the last third of the 19th century.
Definition of nominal value in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan