Definition of noni in English:
1A tropical evergreen shrub native to southern and SE Asia and the Pacific islands.
- Morinda citrifolia, family Rubiaceae
- The fertiliser will be particularly beneficial for the organic noni growers.
- Polly makes a point of educating us on native plants as well, like the kukui nut, whose oil was used by Hawaiians as lubricant and fuel, the noni, and the ti leaf.
- I learned that noni is a commonly planted tropical tree used primarily as an ornamental plant for its broad, bright green leaves, affording shade where it's needed.
2The fruit of the noni, used medicinally to stimulate the immune system and as a detoxifying agent.
- As with many fruits, the noni fruit is a source of vitamins and minerals, as well as antioxidants.
- In terms of modern western medicine, noni is believed to be an immune-booster and a potential therapeutic agent against cancer.
- A 1999 study by Hawaiian researchers found that a polysaccharide-rich compound from noni fruit juice markedly enhanced the survival time of laboratory mice with a specific type of cancer, Lewis lung carcinoma.
Definition of noni in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan