Definition of normoglycaemia in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
A normal concentration of sugar in the blood (as contrasted with hyper- or hypoglycaemia).
- The goal of intrapartum management is to maintain normoglycemia in an effort to prevent neonatal hypoglycemia.
- Beta cells may secrete high levels of insulin to normalize blood glucose levels and successfully maintain normoglycemia for many years.
- Alpha cells produce glucagon, which maintains normoglycemia through the processes of glycogenolysis (i.e., breakdown of glycogen) and gluconeogenesis (i.e., formation of glycogen from noncarbohydrates such as fats and proteins).
- Example sentences
- Once clinical cardiovascular disease develops, patients with type 2 diabetes have a poorer prognosis for survival than normoglycemic patients with cardiovascular disease.
- LDL cholesterol levels in patients with type 2 diabetes may be similar to those in normoglycemic patients, but the composition of the particles (smaller and denser) may make them more atherogenic.
- Women with impaired fasting glucose according to the previous definition, were about 40% more likely than normoglycaemic women to have a non-fatal heart attack or die from cardiovascular disease.
Definition of normoglycaemia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India