noun[mass noun] British
- 1Food: filling the freezer with all kinds of noshMore example sentences
- No, what used to be reasonably priced restaurant food is now expensive nosh.
- Owner Kenny is planning a monster bash with heaps of free nosh (pork pies, pasta and chicken) to make his wife Star's 23rd and his daughter Nadine's 21st birthdays a time to remember.
- There were hundreds of them, scoffing the free nosh and hoovering down the drink and wittering on as if they were the saviours of the world.
- 1.1 [count noun] North American A snack or small item of food: have plenty of noshes and nibbles conveniently placedMore example sentences
- And they are typically sad and relatively reserved events, and then afterwards you have a nosh and people tell some funny stories.
- After a quick nosh at Balans with Tom and Nick, the three of us set off for the Retro Bar for the quiz.
- Even if they were semicircle instead of full-circle, my pancakes managed to survive as a decent nosh.
verb[no object] Back to top
- 1Eat food enthusiastically or greedily: you can nosh to your heart’s content [with object]: there I sat, noshing my favourite foodMore example sentences
eat, munch (on), ingest, consume, take, partake of, taste, swallow, devour, feast on, gulp (down), gobble (down), wolf (down), scoff (down), tuck in/into, breakfast (on), lunch (on), dine (on); have breakfast, have lunch, have dinner, have tea, have supper• informal get stuck into, get one's laughing gear round
- You can also nosh on tasty food at one of the many nearby cafes.
- Food was noshed, drink was drunk, stories were told, and a good time was had by all.
- Samiramiss is one of the area's Middle Eastern mainstays, and one that seems to have its share of regulars, who come often to nosh on their Lebanese specialities for lunch or dinner.
- 1.1North American Eat between meals: today’s grazing is different from what we used to call noshing or snackingMore example sentences
- What better way to say ‘welcome’ than to give a gift basket full of decorating magazines, or books, and some organic snacks to nosh on while the boxes are being unpacked?
- When nutrient-rich food is easily accessible, you're likely to actually use what's on hand to create meals, and to nosh on healthier foods too.
- It's tempting to nosh while cramming for exams.
early 20th century (denoting a snack bar): Yiddish.