Definition of nostril in English:
Either of two external openings of the nasal cavity in vertebrates that admit air to the lungs and smells to the olfactory nerves.
- The jelly or nose spray is put just inside your nostril on the septum.
- Plug the other nostril and have the child gently blow through the nostril where the object is stuck.
- A hole is pierced through the skin and cartilage of the nostril.
Old English nosterl, nosthyrl, from nosu 'nose' + thȳr(e)l 'hole'.
nostrilled [in combination] adjective
- Example sentences
- It wast the voice of a snotty-nostrilled child sitting in a pool and putting shellfish in her drawers.
- He was also notorious for a series of political cartoons in which he represented the Communists by a three-nostrilled man.
Definition of nostril in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan