Definition of notum in English:
noun (plural nota)Entomology
(In an insect) the tergum or dorsal exoskeleton of the thorax.
- Of the three regions of adult cuticle scored for ectopic bristles, the dorsal notum had the largest number, so data from that region are likely to be most reliable.
- The notum is well-developed, but it is impossible to tell if the eyes are large or meet medially.
- These mutant pupae have defects including shortened or bent legs, bristle defects, a split notum, and wing abnormalities.
late 19th century: from Greek nōton 'back'.
- Example sentences
- Crosses to assess developmental delay, dominant effects on wing size, and notal bristle phenotypes were set up in vials and then transferred to egg-laying cages for 2-hr laying periods.
- The male scorpion fly possesses what is called a notal organ, a clamp behind its wings.
Definition of notum in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan