- In spite of: notwithstanding the evidence, the consensus is that the jury will not reach a verdict [postpositive]: this small contretemps notwithstanding, they both had a good timeMore example sentences
- Evidence to the contrary notwithstanding, England still is the countryside, and any threat to its conservation is a scandal because it threatens Englishness itself.
- This notwithstanding the evidence of Mr. Sinclair.
- Imagine, apparently conclusive evidence to the contrary notwithstanding, that a very few gifted individuals are genuinely clairvoyant.
adverbBack to top
- Nevertheless; in spite of this: she tells us she is an intellectual; notwithstanding, she is a beauty queenMore example sentences
nevertheless, nonetheless, even so, all the same, in spite of this/that, despite this/that, after everything, however, still, yet, be that as it may, having said that, that said, for all that, just the same, anyway, in any event, at any rate, at all events, when all is said and done
- It is that attitude, allied to a zest for the game and notwithstanding obvious aplomb on the pitch, that has impressed his club manager George Burley.