- A complex organic substance present in living cells, especially DNA or RNA, whose molecules consist of many nucleotides linked in a long chain.More example sentences
- The cell uses a related nucleic acid called RNA (ribonucleic acid) to construct a working copy of that strand.
- There are two types of nucleic acids, DNA and RNA, both of which are suitable for the transfer of information.
- The order of amino acids in proteins is recorded in the genetic code housed in the nucleic acids, DNA and RNA.
More definitions of nucleic acidDefinition of nucleic acid in:
- The US English dictionary