Definition of nucleolus in English:
noun (plural nucleoli /-lʌɪ/)Biology
A small dense spherical structure in the nucleus of a cell during interphase.
- Microscopically, large neoplastic lymphoid cells with prominent nucleoli and frequent mitotic figures occlude small vessel lumina.
- As the cells separated their chromosomes, the nucleolus also appeared to segregate asymmetrically between mother and daughter cells, with the majority in the mother.
- The tumor cells were arranged in trabecular and solid patterns with nuclear pleomorphism, prominent nucleoli, and scant basophilic cytoplasm.
- Example sentences
- In addition to nucleolar prominence, multiple nucleoli and nucleolar margination have also been suggested as diagnostic criteria for prostate cancer.
- Active transcription of ribosomal DNA is required in all organisms for both nucleolar formation and ribosome biogenesis.
- The LTR probe uniformly labels the chromosome arms except at the telomeres, nucleolar organizing regions, and centromeres, where the signal is lacking.
Definition of nucleolus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan