(Of a molecule or group) having a tendency to donate electrons or react at electron-poor sites such as protons. Often contrasted with electrophilic.
- EO is a direct-acting mutagen that reacts with nucleophilic molecules, including DNA, causing gene mutation and chromosome deletions in somatic cells.
- Methyl lithium is very reactive and acts as a nucleophilic methylating reagent to electrophilic functional groups, such as ketones.
- In the case of aldehydes and ketones containing carbonyl groups, the highly nucleophilic Grignard reagent contributes its electron pair to form a bond with the carbon atom.
- Example sentences
- The reactions can involve either anionic nucleophiles such as iodide ion or neutral molecules such as amines.
- In a similar way, both hydroxide ions and water molecules may act as nucleophiles by reacting with alkyl halides to produce alcohols.
- Unlike hydrocarbon based aromatics, which react most readily with electrophiles, perfluoro-aromatics and heterocyclic ring systems react better with nucleophiles.
Definition of nucleophilic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.