Definition of nucleus in English:
noun (plural nuclei ˈnjuːklɪʌɪ)
- If this proposal is accepted, the government together with the St Lucian organizations could have an extension of the mission in Brooklyn and an important nucleus for the St Lucian community.
- The nucleus of the global movement against injustice will not - cannot, should not - be found in the centers of global privilege.
- And at the moment there is not even the nucleus of a movement to achieve that.
- The harmless radio waves excite protons that form the nuclei of hydrogen atoms in the body.
- Electrons produce a small magnetic field as they spin and orbit the nucleus of an atom.
- Electrons are found in clouds that surround the nucleus of an atom.
- Dense granules surrounding the nucleus are probably cytoplasmic organelles.
- The cells had round or oval vesicular nuclei with multiple prominent nucleoli.
- The cells were characterized by large vesicular nuclei with single large nucleoli.
- Axons travel from the neurons located in nuclei within the brain stem via the cranial nerves without synaptic interruption to the motor end plates on the striated muscle.
- These effects are produced by fibres projecting from the hypothalamus to parasympathetic nuclei in the brain stem, and to sympathetic centres in the spinal cord.
- The trochlear nerve nuclei are located ventral to the mesencephalic aqueduct.
Early 18th century: from Latin, literally 'kernel, inner part', diminutive of nux, nuc- 'nut'.
The nucleus of something is literally its ‘little nut’. In Latin nucleus meant ‘kernel, inner part’, and was a diminutive of nux ‘nut’. Nucleus originally referred to the bright core at the centre of a comet's head, and then to the central part of the earth. Today its main technical meaning is ‘the positively charged central core of an atom’. This was identified by Sir Ernest Rutherford ( 1871–1937), regarded as the founder of nuclear physics, in 1911.
Words that rhyme with nucleuscoleus • Julius • Equuleus
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.