noun (plural same or Nuers)
1A member of an African people of South Sudan and Ethiopia, traditionally pastoralists and cattle-rearers.
- Ethnic conflict had been simmering in Gambella since early December over land and grazing rights between the Anuaks and other ethnic groups, including the Nuers and Majingers.
- The Nuer (or Naath as they call themselves) have suffered greatly from the genocidal conflict in southern Sudan, which alas is different from the recently-reported genocidal conflict in western Sudan.
- Rosaldo critiques Evans-Pritchard for ignoring the relationship of ‘imperial domination’ between himself and the Nuer.
Relating to the Nuer or their language.
- As we walked to the open-air worship area, one class after the other sang a psalm or hymn in the Nuer language.
- In 2003, he fought against pro-government Nuer factions for control of Wahdah province, but lost.
- Garang and Reik Machar, his erstwhile Nuer rival, for years locked horns in a furious struggle for supremacy.
The name in Dinka.
Words that rhyme with NuerAmur, brewer, chewer, Dewar, doer, ewer, hewer, Kahlua, lassoer, pursuer, renewer, screwer, sewer, skewer, skua, spewer, strewer, suer, tattooer, viewer, who're, wooer
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Nuer
Definition of Nuer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.