- As far as I know, nobody has ever been injured or killed during a gay wedding - though what happens after nuptial bliss subsides, who can say?
- Interestingly, I have thought about where I would go for my honeymoon, and when that time of nuptial bliss comes along, I have always thought I would make it Jamaica.
- Away from the mundane rituals, the couple preferred to plant tree saplings at the Pudupettai area in Salem city to mark their entry into the life of nuptial bliss.
- The males develop nuptial coloration consisting of red-colored fins and eyes.
- This specimen is an adult male in very high nuptial plumage, and is No.3002 of my register.
- Scientists have found that, even in the animal kingdom, males hand out so-called nuptial gifts that seem to be worthless.
- They daydream about the jealousy in the eyes of friends when they announce the forthcoming nuptials and the wonderful future life in the sun.
- Best wishes to Clive Burgess and Trish Connolly on their forthcoming nuptials.
- The couple are still to set a date for their forthcoming nuptials.
Late 15th century: from Old French, or from Latin nuptialis, from nuptiae 'wedding', from nubere 'to wed'; related to nubile.
nubile from mid 17th century:
Today a nubile girl is young and sexy, but originally she was simply old enough to marry, with no implication of attractiveness. The word comes from Latin nubilis, from the verb nubere, ‘to put on a veil, get married’. In English nubile at first had the same meaning as in Latin, but this use is now only found in anthropology and other technical contexts. Nubere is also the source of the English word nuptial (Late Middle English), ‘to do with weddings’, and ultimately derives from the Latin word for a cloud (the link is the obscuring veil), nubes, which is the root also of nuance (late 18th century).
Words that rhyme with nuptialantenuptial
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.