Definition of nyctinastic in English:
(Of the periodic movement of flowers or leaves) caused by nightly changes in light intensity or temperature.
- Leaflets of nyctinastic plants assume a vertical (i.e. closed) position in darkness and revert to horizontal orientation upon illumination.
- Leaf-movement in nyctinastic plants has long been believed to be controlled by plant hormones that are common among all nyctinastic plants.
- Several systems of measurement have been used to characterize leaf or leaflet orientation during nyctinastic and heliotropic movement.
- Example sentences
- The trifoliate leaflets are closed as in nyctinasty.
- We found that nyctinasty is controlled by a periodic change of the internal concentration of leaf-opening and leaf-closing substances in the plant body.
- What is the selective advantage to plants of nyctinasty (sleep movements) which closes flowers in the evening?
Definition of nyctinastic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia