- Rapid involuntary movements of the eyes.More example sentences
- Potentially serious neurologic disease should be suspected in patients with focal neurologic signs, severe ataxia, nystagmus changing direction, vertical nystagmus and abnormal eye movement.
- Tremor can be found in multiple sclerosis often with slurred speech and jerky eye movements, called nystagmus.
- Albinos regularly turn their heads to the side and roll their eyes in a circular motion in an attempt to find a favourable axis of sight; they suffer from rapid nystagmus, and blink constantly.
- More example sentences
- Failure of adaptation of nystagmic eye movements to occur under certain conditions of stimulation by angular acceleration has been ascribed to a failure to allow the eye-movement response to run its course.
- The invention provides a tinted pair of lenses for overcoming the deleterious effects of nystagmic oscillations, particularly in persons suffering from dyslexia.
- With no attention to individual objects, gaze velocity is low but nystagmic frequency is high (stare nystagmus).
early 19th century: from Greek nustagmos 'nodding, drowsiness', from nustazein 'nod, be sleepy'.
More definitions of nystagmusDefinition of nystagmus in:
- The US English dictionary