Definition of objectivism in English:
1The tendency to emphasize what is external to or independent of the mind.
- She explained that the main strengths of her documentaries are objectivism and a personal point of view displayed in an unbiased and colourful way.
- Distressingly these encouraged narrow-minded ideas based upon sexual objectivism are just as prevalent in animation…
- How would you evaluate the media in terms of technique, objectivism and censorship during the war?
2 Philosophy The belief that certain things, especially moral truths, exist independently of human knowledge or perception of them.
- That is to say, scientism, or what Husserl calls objectivism, overlooks the phenomenon of the life-world as the enabling condition for scientific practice.
- Haraway replies that it rejects both objectivism and relativism for the ways they let knowers escape responsibility for the representations they construct.
- The same evasive logic allowed Heidegger, another critic of scientific objectivism and cultural relativism with no time for ethical dilemmas, famously to insist that ‘only a God will save us now.’
- 1objectivist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- According to Smith, the club's first purpose is ‘to create a forum for discussion among objectivists on campus.’
- I don't accuse objectivists of lacking imagination.
- Our industrial culture was neither naturalist nor subjectivist, but objectivist.
- Example sentences
- As long as one remains in the natural attitude there is a tendency towards an objectivistic self-understanding, that is, understanding one's own subjectivity in objective terms.
- Some writers have noted the parallelisms between an objectivistic Marxism and Whitehead's objective relativism.
- Our application of this framework involves a morally objectivistic legal idealism, based upon Gewirth's Principle of Generic Consistency.
Definition of objectivism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.