Definition of objectivism in English:
1The tendency to emphasize what is external to or independent of the mind.
- She explained that the main strengths of her documentaries are objectivism and a personal point of view displayed in an unbiased and colourful way.
- Distressingly these encouraged narrow-minded ideas based upon sexual objectivism are just as prevalent in animation…
- How would you evaluate the media in terms of technique, objectivism and censorship during the war?
2 Philosophy The belief that certain things, especially moral truths, exist independently of human knowledge or perception of them.
- That is to say, scientism, or what Husserl calls objectivism, overlooks the phenomenon of the life-world as the enabling condition for scientific practice.
- Haraway replies that it rejects both objectivism and relativism for the ways they let knowers escape responsibility for the representations they construct.
- The same evasive logic allowed Heidegger, another critic of scientific objectivism and cultural relativism with no time for ethical dilemmas, famously to insist that ‘only a God will save us now.’
objectivist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- According to Smith, the club's first purpose is ‘to create a forum for discussion among objectivists on campus.’
- I don't accuse objectivists of lacking imagination.
- Our industrial culture was neither naturalist nor subjectivist, but objectivist.
- Example sentences
- As long as one remains in the natural attitude there is a tendency towards an objectivistic self-understanding, that is, understanding one's own subjectivity in objective terms.
- Some writers have noted the parallelisms between an objectivistic Marxism and Whitehead's objective relativism.
- Our application of this framework involves a morally objectivistic legal idealism, based upon Gewirth's Principle of Generic Consistency.
Definition of objectivism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan