Definition of occiput in English:
The back of the head.
- The helmet alleviates the pressure on the flattened area of the occiput and allows the skull to grow faster in the desired directions.
- At surgery, there was a significant deformity of the cranial vault at the level of the occiput and first and second cervical vertebrae.
- The supraoccipital is essentially an unpaired dermal bone of the occiput.
late Middle English: from Latin occiput, from ob- 'against' + caput 'head'.
- Example sentences
- The choroid plexus does not extend into the frontal and occipital horns of the lateral ventricles.
- One foramen transmits a vein to the superior sagittal sinus and a small branch of the occipital artery to the dura mater.
- Almost 2 years after his transplant he presented with an occipital subcutaneous myeloid sarcoma.
Definition of occiput in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan