- At that point, the oceans ceased to be geographical barriers, and like the smaller seas before them opened up into highways.
- They are found in the tropical and subtropical waters of oceans around the world.
- This area was one of the most remote and least traveled expanses of the world oceans.
- This guy up here is a very close relative of the roly-poly, only it lives in the deep sea along the ocean floor.
- The pole was anchored solidly to the floor of the ocean and rose about twenty feet into the air.
- Discarded nets drift through the sea and continue to kill fish on the ocean floor.
- The Holy Qur' an is an ocean of divine knowledge.
- This image marks a time in history not only for Yes, but a passage in the oceans of time.
oceanward (also oceanwards) adverb& adjective
- Example sentences
- But it counts, and the flow of our destruction doesn't falter; it flows ever oceanward.
- Swimming oceanwards from Malta's Inland Sea, I decided to swap masks for a second one I had in my BC pocket.
- The ‘neck area’ is the last domain oceanward, at the foot of the continental slope.
Middle English: from Old French occean, via Latin from Greek ōkeanos 'great stream encircling the earth's disc'. ‘The ocean’ originally denoted the whole body of water regarded as encompassing the earth's single land mass.
The first mention of ocean in English looks back to the classical world. The ancient Greeks believed the world was surrounded by a great river, which they called okeanos. Ocean originally described the body of water (‘the Great Outer Sea’ as contrasted with the Mediterranean and other inland seas) regarded as enclosing the earth's single land mass, that of Europe and Asia, which at the time was the only land known. The Mediterranean is the sea ‘in the middle of the earth’ or ‘enclosed by land’, from Latin medius ‘middle’ and terra ‘land’. See also atlas, peace
Words that rhyme with oceancommotion, devotion, emotion, groschen, Laotian, locomotion, lotion, motion, notion, Nova Scotian, potion, promotion
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ocean
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.