Definition of odious in English:
Extremely unpleasant; repulsive: a pretty odious character odious hypocrisy
More example sentences
- At the same time, the odious extremism at the other end of the spectrum, in the shape of the BNP vote elsewhere, has also strengthened.
- Alas there is no reason why the most odious, contemptible people might not be able to make the sweetest, most wonderful creations.
- It is precisely in such periods that the lies of the state assume an ever more blatant and odious character.
revolting, repulsive, repellent, repugnant, disgusting, offensive, objectionable, vile, foul, abhorrent, loathsome, nauseating, nauseous, sickening, hateful, detestable, execrable, abominable, monstrous, appalling, reprehensible, deplorable, insufferable, intolerable, unacceptable, despicable, contemptible, beyond the pale, unspeakable, poisonous, noxious, obscene, base, hideous, grisly, gruesome, horrendous, heinous, atrocious, awful, terrible, dreadful, frightful, obnoxious, unsavoury, unpalatable, unpleasant, disagreeable, nasty, distasteful, dislikeable, off-putting, displeasing
British informal beastly
North American informal skanky
- Example sentences
- But there must be real issues that Le Pen has raised not matter how odiously.
- And he was particularly odiously cruel, as we know from the mass graves, and other things.
- I have included my views because to flippantly criticise without offering solutions is hopelessly and odiously hypocritical.
- Example sentences
- It's hard to see how the odiousness of a crime can indicate that it was not the product of an ‘internal dysfunction.’
- A feeling of odiousness has gone from the room and for a chance I can sleep without wondering if my death is to come.
- It seems as if he lets his outrage at the abuse of government powers blind him to the odiousness of his clients.
Words that rhyme with odiouscommodious, melodious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.