Definition of oedema in English:
A condition characterized by an excess of watery fluid collecting in the cavities or tissues of the body. Also called dropsy1.
- Seven children died from illness or injury without oedema, three in the antioxidant supplement group and four in the placebo group.
- Muscles waste away; oedema and accumulation of fluid in body cavities follows depletion of plasma proteins.
- This is not easy, as too little fluid will cause hypoperfusion whereas too much will lead to oedema that will cause tissue hypoxia.
- Example sentences
- The breast skin overlying the lesion was erythematous and edematous.
- The fragments were edematous with focal fibrosis.
- When these lesions were stroked, they became red, edematous, and pruritic, and some formed blisters.
Definition of oedema in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan