Definition of oesophagus in English:
noun (plural oesophagi ɪˈsɒfədʒʌɪ or oesophaguses)
The part of the alimentary canal which connects the throat to the stomach. In humans and other vertebrates it is a muscular tube lined with mucous membrane.
- Inlet patch is a congenital anomaly of the cervical esophagus consisting of gastric mucosa.
- Tables are not used in the sections for the esophagus and the small intestine.
- It happens when acid from your stomach leaks back up through your oesophagus and throat.
- Example sentences
- No constant relationship of the esophageal arteries to the vagus nerve was noted.
- Endoscopy showed normal oesophageal mucosa with increased oesophageal contractions.
- This striated muscle, which is the upper esophageal sphincter, joins the ends of the cricoid cartilage.
Definition of oesophagus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan