Definition of oestrus in English:
A recurring period of sexual receptivity and fertility in many female mammals; heat: a mare in oestrus
More example sentences
- ‘When the female is in estrus, breeding bulls that are 35 to 55 years old and in their prime can be many miles away,’ Garstang said.
- Judging from mating rate, I found that female topi antelopes in estrus preferred lek males to resource defenders.
- A beef cow has a 21-day estrous cycle, the period from one estrus, or heat, to the next.
- Example sentences
- In contrast, it is proposed that estrous females on lek easily escape harassment by switching between the small territories.
- Social rank then determines access to estrous ewes during the rut.
- To assess whether shadowing was linked to estrus, we required an estimate of the likely estrous period for females.
Pronunciation: /ˈiːstrəs/ /ˈɛstrəs/adjective
Late 17th century: from Greek oistros 'gadfly or frenzy'.
Definition of oestrus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.