Definition of oilskin in English:
1Heavy cotton cloth waterproofed with oil: a fisherman’s outfit of yellow oilskin [as modifier]: an oilskin coat
More example sentences
- The man was dressed in a heavy, green oilskin waterproof jacket and trousers.
- So I donned my wellington boots, put on my waterproof coat and my oilskin hat, grabbed my brolly and went out for a short walk in the rain.
- A yellow oilskin hat and coat hung from a hook on the wall beside the door.
1.1 (oilskins) Garments made of oilskin.
- So, I donned gloves and oilskins and put my hands to work cleaning out traps alongside my companions.
- In Monsoon they appear as wide-eyed, god-like creatures dressed in yellow oilskins with water-filled pipes attached.
- We climbed into oilskins, life jackets and clip-on safety harnesses, and became fellow shipmates for the day-night crossing.
Definition of oilskin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan