Definition of olefin in English:
Another term for alkene.
- Epoxidation, the conversion of an olefin (an unsaturated alkene hydrocarbon) to a cyclic ether through reaction with hydrogen peroxide, a peracid, or oxygen, is an important chemical technique.
- Whatever the feedstock, the product slate is a complex mixture of hydrogen, ethylene, other olefins, diolefins and gasoline as well as smaller amounts of acetylenes and carbon monoxide.
- The second phase comprises an organic solvent containing soluble reagents such as olefins.
Mid 19th century: from French oléfiant 'oil-forming' (with reference to oily ethylene dichloride).
- Example sentences
- Structurally, morphine exhibits the complexity and multifunctionality typical of so many alkaloids; its benzylisoquinoline nucleus supports amino, hydroxyl, olefinic and ether functions in a pentacyclic system.
- Essential oil hydrocarbons are usually olefinic and made up of isoprene units: terpenes, sesquiterpenes and diterpenes.
- Process for selectively separating hydrogen, or both hydrogen and carbon monoxide from olefinic hydrocarbons
Definition of olefin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan