Definition of olfaction in English:
noun[mass noun] technical
The action or capacity of smelling; the sense of smell.
- As an immunologist and neurobiologist, Mombaerts has decisively contributed to the basic mechanistic understanding of olfaction (sense of smell).
- Humans detect chemical substances in the environment through 2 sensory channels: olfaction and the chemical sense.
- The nurse shark relies on its sense of olfaction, touch and electrical reception.
- Example sentences
- The polymeric nanoparticles including olfactive components have a glass temperature of >50° C.
- Fragrance composition exhibiting varying olfactive characteristics when applied on different persons
- Structureolfactive threshold relationships for 40 pyrazine derivatives have been studied by multivariate statistical analysis.
Definition of olfaction in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan