(US also omelet)
A dish of beaten eggs cooked in a frying pan and served plain or with a savoury or sweet topping or filling: a cheese omelette
More example sentences
- Mike Thomson, the owner/manager, will be serving bagels, omelettes, salads, home made soups and baking and pasta dishes.
- A chef was stationed at one end to cook omelettes and serve bacon, sausages and black pudding.
- Fresh leaves can be added to soups, stews, omelettes or salads.
one can't make an omelette without breaking eggs
- proverb One cannot accomplish something without adverse effects elsewhere.Translating French On ne saurait faire une omelette sans casser des oeufsExample sentences
- Just as surely as you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, you can't build a fairer society without challenging wealth and power.
- However, as Lenin said, you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.
- Robespierre was dead right, you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, however I have noticed that politicians can never improve the world without killing a fair amount of the inhabitants which is what Robespierre had just done.
Definition of omelette in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.