Definition of on drive in English:
A drive to the on side.
- Giffen was an attacking batsman and had a variety of strokes including powerful off and on drives.
- And the on drives looked great, very few batsmen have the ability to play ball wide of mid on without lifting the ball.
- Getting hit on drives to the basket is nothing new for him.
verbBack to top
(on-drive) [with object] Drive a ball delivered by (a bowler) to the on side: Wright, who had on-driven Maru for six earlier, was immediately run out
More example sentences
- Jonathan Hughes and Mike Powell briefly steadied the ship, with Hughes bringing up the fifty with a sumptuous cover drive off Ben Phillips, before on-driving the same bowler for another crisp four in his next over.
- His memorable moment came in the second over after the tea-break when he on-drove fast bowler Dillon.
- A little later, a pitched-up delivery was on-driven with effortless ease.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan