Definition of one-way in English:
1Moving or allowing movement in one direction only: a one-way valve a one-way street
More example sentences
- This means that coffee should be packed in an airtight foil laminated bag with a one-way air valve to allow the bag to de-gas.
- Tension pneumothorax occurs when pleural damage results in a one-way valve phenomenon allowing air to enter, but not exit, the pleural space.
- At the beginning of expiration, you tum the valve creating a one-way valve that only allows expiratory airflow.
1.1(Of a ticket) allowing a person to travel to a place but not back again; single.
- And she said insult was added to injury when the company tried to make amends by sending her a single one-way travel voucher without a return ticket.
- According to Adams, the 14 men traveled on Northwest Airlines flight #327 using one-way tickets.
- Because of wrong information 49-year-old Jim had been given in the US, she didn't realise her one-way ticket would cause so much trouble.
1.2Denoting a mirror or glass that acts as a reflective surface on one side but that is transparent from the other.
- Prior to testing, stimulus males were kept for some days in aquaria with a one-way mirror on one side to acclimatize them with their reflected image.
- A number of descriptions of a transparent press had a one-way mirror feel to them: We editors will explain to you readers what we think you should know about us.
- Much to the enjoyment of the no-longer-bored guard on the other side of the one-way mirror, Mike and Martina share a deep, passionate kiss.
1.3Denoting a relationship in which all the input comes from only one member: interaction between the organism and the environment is not a one-way process
More example sentences
- With Washington's latest move in regard to Libya, it would be understandable if many Bulgarians believed that the relationship is somewhat one-way.
- It will reinforce the idea that this is a bit of a one-way relationship.
- On the Web, those kinds of one-way relationships come down a notch.
Definition of one-way in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan