Relating to or denoting reproduction by the union of mobile male and immobile female gametes.
More example sentences
- Identification of the charophycean lineage as the sister group of land plants suggests that their common ancestor was a branched, filamentous organism with a haplontic life cycle and oogamous reproduction.
- Oomycetes are oogamous, producing large non-motile gametes called eggs, and smaller gametes called sperm.
- Particularly in oogamous species, uniparental inheritance of mitochondria has been attributed to the small number of mitochondria in the male gamete.
- More example sentences
- Meiosis produces 4 gametes, ie. isogamy, anisogamy and oogamy, which through mitosis develops into mature gametes.
- It has been suggested that algae with a large volume (plant size) at maturity usually display anisogamy or oogamy, as expected if larger zygotes permit more rapid growth to these adult sizes.
- Isogamy and anisogamy, and sometimes oogamy may occur.
Definition of oogamous in:
- The US English dictionary