Definition of oogamous in English:
Relating to or denoting reproduction by the union of mobile male and immobile female gametes.
- Identification of the charophycean lineage as the sister group of land plants suggests that their common ancestor was a branched, filamentous organism with a haplontic life cycle and oogamous reproduction.
- Oomycetes are oogamous, producing large non-motile gametes called eggs, and smaller gametes called sperm.
- Particularly in oogamous species, uniparental inheritance of mitochondria has been attributed to the small number of mitochondria in the male gamete.
- Example sentences
- Meiosis produces 4 gametes, ie. isogamy, anisogamy and oogamy, which through mitosis develops into mature gametes.
- It has been suggested that algae with a large volume (plant size) at maturity usually display anisogamy or oogamy, as expected if larger zygotes permit more rapid growth to these adult sizes.
- Isogamy and anisogamy, and sometimes oogamy may occur.
Definition of oogamous in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia