Definition of ophidian in English:
A reptile of the group Ophidia; a snake.
- Some aspects of the ophidian anatomy can be explained by an aquatic mode of life of their putative ancestor, but others are more easily explained by a terrestrial ancestry of snakes.
- If you have always been afraid of snakes, visit a zoo with an ophidian exhibit.
- Moreover, they provide a first insight into the composition of the earliest ophidian venoms and point the way toward a research program that could elucidate the functional context of the evolution of the snake venom proteome.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting snakes.
- Boas and pythons still possess vestigial remnants of hind limbs, called "anal claws," which indicate that they are basal members of the ophidian clade.
- Alethinophidians and scolecophidians form a monophyletic ophidian clade that is also unresolved within scleroglossans.
- As indicated by the morphological description above, the postcranial skeleton of Haasiophis (and Pachyrhachis) generally corresponds to an ophidian morphology with no apparent regionalization of the precaudal (precloacal) axial skeleton.
Definition of ophidian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan