noun[mass noun] Medicine
- Inflammation of the eye, especially conjunctivitis.More example sentences
- The leaves of bael are useful in ophthalmia, deafness, inflammations, catarrh, diabetes and asthmatic complaints.
- Sympathetic ophthalmia, in which chronic inflammation develops in the uninjured eye, is a potentially serious complication of any severe penetrating eye injury.
- It is said to be useful in intermittent fevers, ulcers, ophthalmia, pleurisy, etc.
late Middle English: via late Latin from Greek, from ophthalmos 'eye'.
More definitions of ophthalmiaDefinition of ophthalmia in:
- The US English dictionary