Definition of ophthalmology in English:
The branch of medicine concerned with the study and treatment of disorders and diseases of the eye.
- He entered St Mary's Hospital Medical School in 1933 and while there won prize exams in surgery, ophthalmology, and obstetrics and gynaecology.
- Carmeda is conducting research in key sectors such as ophthalmology, orthopedics, and neurology.
- Most of the work will be in orthopaedics and ophthalmology - specialties with the longest waiting lists.
- Example sentences
- As an aside, the report does not indicate whether any underlying eye disease was fortuitously diagnosed by the ophthalmological referrals.
- Full ophthalmological assessment can help narrow the differential diagnosis.
- Scientists are learning more about how diabetes affects the cardiovascular, renal, nervous, and ophthalmological systems.
Pronunciation: /ˌɒfθalməˈlɒdʒɪk(ə)l/ /ˌɒpθalməˈlɒdʒɪk(ə)l/adjective
Words that rhyme with ophthalmologyanthropology, apology, archaeology (US archeology), astrology, biology, campanology, cardiology, chronology, climatology, cosmology, craniology, criminology, dermatology, ecology, embryology, entomology, epidemiology, etymology, geology, gynaecology (US gynecology), haematology (US hematology), hagiology, horology, hydrology, iconology, ideology, immunology, iridology, kidology, meteorology, methodology, musicology, mythology, necrology, neurology, numerology, oncology, ontology, ornithology, parasitology, pathology, pharmacology, phraseology, phrenology, physiology, psychology, radiology, reflexology, scatology, Scientology, seismology, semiology, sociology, symbology, tautology, technology, terminology, theology, topology, toxicology, urology, zoology • eulogy • energy • synergy • apogee • liturgy • lethargy
Definition of ophthalmology in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.