- 1An American marsupial which has a naked prehensile tail and hind feet with an opposable thumb.
More example sentences
- Family Didelphidae: several genera and numerous species. See also Virginia opossum
- Scientists say this mammal is the oldest known fossil ancestor of modern marsupials - which include opossums, kangaroos, and koalas.
- Marsupials, such as the opossums of the Americas and the kangaroos, koalas, and wombats of Australasia, generally give birth to tiny immature young which then complete their developments in a pouch.
- Primitively clumsy and slow, with conical heads and pointed pink noses, sparse gray fur and naked ears, mature opossums reach the size of house cats (about ten pounds).
- 1.1Australian /NZ A possum.More example sentences
- On Terra these include kangaroos, wallabies, bandicoots, opossums, and wombats.
- Rabbits and opossums, which were okayed by the Government of the time, have had an enormous and destructive impact on our environment.
- As well as performing amazing movement-restoring surgery on spine damaged opossums, Dr Norman Sauders has built a sailing simulator which he'll be demonstrating at the Sydney Boat Show in August.
early 17th century: from Virginia Algonquian opassom, from op 'white' + assom 'dog'.
More definitions of opossumDefinition of opossum in:
- The US English dictionary