- In both contests Webb stopped his opponents in the first round with an awesome display of punching.
- If successful, the bidders win the whole game; if not their opponents win the game.
- Then they allowed their opponents back into the game to snatch victory with two late goals.
- Most importantly he was a vigorous opponent of giving the Bank of England independence.
- An ardent opponent of war, he made a packet from investing in military supplies.
- It is more accurate to say he was an opponent of the regime.
Late 16th century (denoting a person opening an academic debate by proposing objections to a philosophical or religious thesis): from Latin opponent- 'setting against', from the verb opponere, from ob- 'against' + ponere 'place'.
Words that rhyme with opponentcomponent, deponent, exponent, proponent
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.