An antibody or other substance which binds to foreign microorganisms or cells making them more susceptible to phagocytosis.
- By some unknown process, Acupuncture raises levels of triglycerides, specific hormones, prostaglandins, white blood counts, gamma globulins, opsonins, and overall anti-body levels.
- In all infants, the spleen provides important protection against invading bacteria; it is also a source of opsonins and fixed-tissue macrophages, as well as antibody production.
- A mixture of opsonins adhere to the bacterium and facilitate ingestion by alveolar macrophages.
- Example sentences
- How did opsonic antibodies enhance alveolar macrophage effectiveness?
- One pool of GAS surface proteins induced antibodies that were both opsonic and potentially protective.
- Moreover, Lancefield's studies in 1959 showed that type-specific opsonic antibodies can persist for 10-20 years after a GAS infection in humans.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: op¦so|nin
Definition of opsonin in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.