- 1Choose not to participate in something: you can opt out of the state pension schemeMore example sentences
- Last spring, he opted out of football drills and chose instead to pitch for the USC baseball team, taking the hill in nine games.
- A little-debated provision in the 1996 welfare reform law mandates a lifetime ban on welfare and food stamps for drug offenders, although New York is one of eight states that have opted out of the ban.
- After the arrangements were made, Love opted out of the event altogether, as she reportedly ‘missed her plane’ from Los Angeles.
- 1.1British (Of a school or hospital) decide to withdraw from local authority control: opting out might allow schools greater freedomMore example sentences
- Primary schools, for example, will be allowed to opt out of local authority control and become ‘foundation’ schools with control of their own budgets.
- Moreover, schools and hospitals were encouraged to opt out of local authority control, compete with one another, and manage their own budgets.
- The latter were state schools that opted out of local authority control and voted to obtain funding directly from the government.
More definitions of opt outDefinition of opt out in:
- The US English dictionary