Definition of orbital in English:
1Relating to an orbit or orbits.
- With its emphasis on accurate space flight simulation and orbital mechanics, Orbiter is not all things to all space and astronomy enthusiasts.
- This nearly polar orbit is designed such that the spacecraft's orbital path moves at the same apparent rate as the Sun.
- This creates increased atmospheric drag on spacecraft in low orbits, shortening their orbital lifetime.
1.1British (Of a road) passing round the outside of a town.
- Apple has confirmed its third UK retail location: the Bluewater shopping centre in Kent, just outside London's M25 orbital freeway.
- On February 1st they kick-started the tendering process for the extension of the M77 to Fenwick and the creation of the new Glasgow southern orbital road.
- The concept of an orbital road around the capital had been discussed since the Royal Commission on London Traffic in 1905.
nounBack to top
2 Physics Each of the actual or potential patterns of electron density which may be formed in an atom or molecule by one or more electrons, and can be represented as a wave function.
- In addition, it can also lead to daunting calculations as each atom contributes its orbitals to the whole molecule.
- The effect is due to the distortion of the electron orbitals because of the magnetic field.
- It is also possible for two orbitals on each atom to overlap, forming two molecular orbitals between the two atoms.
- Example sentences
- Scott Lehman points out: ‘Their technique is still heavily reliant on the accuracy of the orbitally derived mile posts.’
Words that rhyme with orbitalpedestal • sagittal • vegetal
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.