Definition of orbital in English:
1Relating to an orbit or orbits.
- With its emphasis on accurate space flight simulation and orbital mechanics, Orbiter is not all things to all space and astronomy enthusiasts.
- This nearly polar orbit is designed such that the spacecraft's orbital path moves at the same apparent rate as the Sun.
- This creates increased atmospheric drag on spacecraft in low orbits, shortening their orbital lifetime.
1.1British (Of a road) passing round the outside of a town.
- Apple has confirmed its third UK retail location: the Bluewater shopping centre in Kent, just outside London's M25 orbital freeway.
- On February 1st they kick-started the tendering process for the extension of the M77 to Fenwick and the creation of the new Glasgow southern orbital road.
- The concept of an orbital road around the capital had been discussed since the Royal Commission on London Traffic in 1905.
nounBack to top
2 Physics Each of the actual or potential patterns of electron density which may be formed in an atom or molecule by one or more electrons, and can be represented as a wave function.
- In addition, it can also lead to daunting calculations as each atom contributes its orbitals to the whole molecule.
- The effect is due to the distortion of the electron orbitals because of the magnetic field.
- It is also possible for two orbitals on each atom to overlap, forming two molecular orbitals between the two atoms.
- Example sentences
- Scott Lehman points out: ‘Their technique is still heavily reliant on the accuracy of the orbitally derived mile posts.’
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan