1Neatly and methodically arranged: an orderly arrangement of objects
More example sentences
- This crystalline structure is an orderly arrangement of ions known as a crystal lattice.
- Many common solids are crystalline, which means that their molecules are arranged in an orderly pattern that resembles a three-dimensional grid.
- Quasicrystals are unusual metallic alloys whose atoms are arranged in orderly patterns that are not quite crystalline.
neat, tidy, well ordered, in order, trim, in apple-pie order, as neat as a new pin, spick and span, well kept, straight
British informal, dated shipshape (and Bristol fashion)
well organized, organized, efficient, businesslike, methodical, systematic, careful, meticulous, punctilious;
1.1(Of a person or group) well behaved: the crowd was quiet and orderly
More example sentences
- He was a very neat and orderly person and although he enjoyed romping about, he normally dressed impeccably.
- Any neat and orderly person would consider it a disaster, but King Dordig was no such person.
- Despite what the wad of gum always stuck between Dee's teeth might tell a person about her, Dee was one of the cleanest and mostly orderly people I've ever met.
noun (plural orderlies)
1An attendant in a hospital responsible for the non-medical care of patients and the maintenance of order and cleanliness.
- The agreement covers staff working in various roles such as orderlies, patient care assistants, kitchen staff, catering attendants and gardeners.
- The enlisted men had been trained in Philadelphia hospitals and served as orderlies in wards, ORs, laboratories, and x-ray departments.
- In the middle of the procession, a hospital orderly pushed a wheelchair.
2A soldier who carries orders or performs minor tasks for an officer.
- They had served in the field as nurses and ambulance drivers and performed military support roles as cooks and orderlies, clerical workers, telephonists, and signallers.
- On 7 November 1919 barrack orderlies were instructed to carry revolvers.
- He established guards for his artillery trains and directed that a liaison orderly be sent from each battery to brigade headquarters.
- Example sentences
- How can orderliness and organization be a method to achieve spirituality?
- She loved Ty, but she never got his organization and orderliness.
- Despite the theoretical orderliness of the hierarchy, extraordinarily complex and difficult relationships have evolved within many of the ministries.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: or|der¦ly
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.