1A street musician who plays a barrel organ.
- The melodies are recommended to street organ-grinders, if any still exist.
- I remember with a peculiar vividness an organ-grinder who came around with a monkey, and the accuracy with which the monkey could catch a ball.
- The funhouse atmosphere will also include loonie hotdogs, free popcorn, face-painting, buskers, an organ-grinder, and roving improv performers.
1.1A person in control of another: I’m not just a monkey dancing to the organ grinder’s tune
With reference to the tradition of an organ grinder's keeping a monkey trained to collect money
More example sentences
- Trimble remarked: ‘I don't want to talk to this monkey. Where's the organ-grinder?’
- After all, why bother choosing the monkey when you can own the organ-grinder?
- He had originally intended to stand against the Defence Secretary, but was persuaded to, in his words, ‘take on the organ-grinder rather than the monkey’.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: organ grind¦er
Definition of organ grinder in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.