- Any of a number of organized or specialized structures within a living cell.More example sentences
- Scattered throughout the plasma in cells are organelles called mitochondria.
- Mitochondria are highly dynamic organelles undergoing rapid movement within the cell.
- Cilia and flagella are cell organelles for motility and are conserved among a variety of eukaryotic organisms.
early 20th century: from modern Latin organella, diminutive of organum 'instrument, tool' (see organ).
More definitions of organelleDefinition of organelle in:
- The US English dictionary