Definition of organicism in English:
1The doctrine that everything in nature has an organic basis or is part of an organic whole.
- Much of his work at Harvard focused on metaphysics, especially his emphasis on organicism and process.
- Low mysticism is immanent, relies on a sort of pantheistic organicism; high mysticism is transcendent, depending on gods / God that is beyond.
- Similarly, contextualism and organicism are world hypotheses that tend to see things in terms of wholes, even though they are preoccupied with different dimensions.
2The use or advocacy of literary or artistic forms in which the parts are connected or coordinated in the whole.
- It tended to read as a superficial organicism applied over the work's underlying axiality.
- One felt, in her marriage of geometry and chaos, something of the Post-Minimal organicism of Eva Hesse.
- Hesse's abstract organicism feels very present, especially in the many wall-mounted sculptures featuring the large pods that have become something of a hallmark for Neff.
mid 19th century: from French organicisme.
organicist adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- He's speaking the language of organicist conservatism - a credo of natural hierarchies and congenital cultural partitions.
- Ostensibly an organicist term for civil society, which enjoyed much currency during the seventeenth century, it nevertheless has a long and interesting genesis.
- But how many on the right, aside from Schmitt, explicitly rejected German Romanticism - the main current of German conservatism, with its organicist ideas of the volk - as intellectually and politically bankrupt?
- Example sentences
- About the historical origins of the organicistic viewpoint in biology a great deal could be said.
- There are two schools of thought about the nature of schizophrenia: the organicistic school and the psychodynamic school.
Definition of organicism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan