- An abalone (mollusc), especially one used as food in the Channel Islands.
More example sentences
- Genus Haliotis, in particular H. tuberculata
- The ormer is a favourite with islanders who can spend hours wading through rock pools on Guernseys coastline in search of the elusive abalone.
- The Oormer is a single-shelled gastropod that crawls (limpet-like) over the rocks feeding on algae.
- Although the ormer is not a commercially exploited species, it is very important both biologically and socially to Jersey.
mid 17th century: Channel Islands French, from French ormier, from Latin auris maris 'ear of the sea' (because of its ear-like shape).