- A large gregarious tropical American bird of the American blackbird family, which has brown or black plumage with yellow outer tail feathers, and constructs a pendulous nest.
More example sentences
- Genus Psarocolius, family Icteridae: several species
- According to Ridgely and Tudor, it is more likely to be mistaken for a cacique than an oropendola in the field.
- In one spot deep within the gorge, the pendulous nests of green oropendolas adorn the outer branches of a tall tree growing on one of the river's small islands.
- We obtained samples from 25 oropendola individuals for our study, chosen to represent variation within and between 8 of the 11 species of oropendola recognized by Sibley and Monroe.
late 19th century: from Spanish, literally 'golden oriole'.
More definitions of oropendolaDefinition of oropendola in:
- The US English dictionary