plural noun[treated as singular]
- His professional interests were in metastatic paraplegia and paediatric orthopaedics.
- After a firm grounding in orthopaedics he entered general practice.
- Most of the work will be in orthopaedics and ophthalmology - specialties with the longest waiting lists.
- Example sentences
- After referral to a pediatric orthopedist, she was diagnosed with idiopathic juvenile osteoporosis.
- If the examination is positive, referral to an orthopedist may be a better strategy than MRI because of the latter's relatively low specificity.
- I believe this problem, however, is greatly overdiagnosed by sports orthopedists, who are used to treating inflexible football players rather than flexible swimmers.
Mid 19th century (originally relating specifically to children): from French orthopédie, from Greek orthos 'right or straight' + paideia 'rearing of children'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ortho|paed¦ics
Definition of orthopaedics in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.