1An obsession with eating foods that one considers healthy.
- I don't know about orthorexia, but it's great having an excuse for being fussy.
- What holds most women back from the brink of full-on orthorexia is the fear of becoming obsessive and losing all their friends.
- There are a variety of subspecies of the illness, including one called orthorexia, so-called health food junkies.
1.1 (also orthorexia nervosa) A medical condition in which the sufferer systematically avoids specific foods that they believe to be harmful.
- The latest eating disorder is known as orthorexia nervosa, an obsessive eating of pure foods in the quest for improved health.
- Although many experts believe orthorexia nervosa may be a genuine concern, some think it's not a clinically useful diagnosis.
- Bigorexia, orthorexia, non-purgative bulimia - is there no end to the illnesses you can catch from trying to eat healthily?
- Example sentences
- Every potential orthorexic reaches a moment of self-revelation when they realise that they're either going to have to compromise or stay at home alone juicing beetroot and celery for ever.
- As an anorexic, I looked down on people who ate heartily; I think orthorexics like being awkward and see people who eat what I would term ‘rubbish’ food as weak and unhealthy.
- Like anorexia, it often involves severe weight loss, but so-called orthorexics are obsessed with food quality, rather than quantity, and strive for personal purity in their eating habits rather than for a thin physique.
Definition of orthorexia in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.