Definition of ostentatious in English:
Characterized by pretentious or showy display; designed to impress: a simple design that is glamorous without being ostentatious
More example sentences
- His way of life may seem a bit ostentatious, but his energy and enthusiasm is infectious, and there is nothing snobbish or affected about him.
- Hey you - people in love, do you have to be so ostentatious about it?
- He was always smartly dressed but not in an ostentatious way.
showy, pretentious, conspicuous, obtrusive, flamboyant, gaudy, garish, tinsel, tinselly, brash, vulgar, loud, extravagant, fancy, ornate, affected, theatrical, actorly, overdone, over-elaborate, kitsch, tasteless
US black English dicty
- Example sentences
- Of course some percentage of this represented authentic business and educational expense, but much of it was pure ostentatiousness or ‘gallery’ as we are wont to describe in local parlance.
- Perched high over the ocean, the modest homes spoke of a more reasonable society free from the ostentatiousness of mainstream Hollywood.
- Del Mar never grew to an unmanageable size or broad-avenued ostentatiousness, because it couldn't.
Words that rhyme with ostentatiousAthanasius, audacious, bodacious, cactaceous, capacious, carbonaceous, contumacious, Cretaceous, curvaceous, disputatious, edacious, efficacious, fallacious, farinaceous, flirtatious, foliaceous, fugacious, gracious, hellacious, herbaceous, Ignatius, loquacious, mendacious, mordacious, perspicacious, pertinacious, pugnacious, rapacious, sagacious, salacious, saponaceous, sebaceous, sequacious, setaceous, spacious, tenacious, veracious, vexatious, vivacious, voracious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.